Pisces Season opens the door to the 12th House of the zodiacal year and invites you to turn inwards, into the void space of sacred mysteries and infinite potential to consider the gifts of your dreams and intuitive wisdom. Here, you will discover mystery and wonder, for the 12th House contains within it, the truths of all the other astrological houses. Through the doorway of your own inner knowing, you can begin to explore the vastness of Pisces Mutable Waters. With its symbol of two fishes swimming in opposite directions, Piscean energy encompasses both the dark and the light parts of the self. Pisces Season provides a sacred repository in which to integrate these aspects of ourselves.
Through its glyph, we contemplate the nature of two half moons connected by a bridge line that reveal the relationship between our material being and our spiritual selves. Understanding this relationship helps us to access a new way of existence. We live in a body in a material reality that cannot be denied. It is also true that this body is a sacred vessel for our soul’s essence. When the two are in co-creation with each other - when they can recognize that they cannot exist without each other, when they embrace their wholeness - we achieve freedom from the illusion of separateness that ushers us into an expanded reality. Now, we can begin to see that we are each an individual drop in the cosmic ocean of love. Pisces wants us to know in our very soul that we are divine beings. When we can trust in the aqua pura of Pisces, we step into a spiritual agency that helps us to cross the bridge into a new dimension of liberation and of Love.
An excellent tool for cultivating intuition and expanding consciousness, the tarot is a perfect guide to help you navigate the waters of Pisces. Reflection - the 12th card in the Major Arcana (also known as The Hanged One) - presents to you a confluence of introspection and compassion that can lead you into a deeper connection to all things spiritual. Through Reflection (which is ruled by Neptune, the planet of artistry, spirituality and soul love), you can begin to release any preconceptions about what you are supposed to be doing, and simply practice being. Now is the time to be still, to bathe in the creative water of the emotions and ideas that rise up from within. When you can be still, you create space for your imagination to light up the dark and inspire. In a very Piscean way, you begin to understand the power of silence to nourish the soul.
Playing with the numerical value of Pisces rulership of the 12th House, we discover that this time of year also holds the energy of the 1 and the 2 - The Magician and The Oracle (aka The High Priestess). The Magician represents the soul in embodied form. The Magician arrives with all that they need to create a life of meaning, magic, purpose and wonder. This card begins the cycle of a soul living upon the Earth, making its way through the archetypal journey of evolution. The Oracle encourages us to have reverence for all beings and to look for the sacredness that is all around and also within you. A practice of reverence is one of the more powerful ways to expand your sense of connection to yourself and to others. It is through this expanded consciousness that we are returned to a profound truth - one that is cared for by The Oracle - that we are never separate from Source. We are never alone. This is the holy message from the depths of Pisces. This truth carries us into the end of a cycle, wiser for the journey. During Pisces Season, we are freed to let go of previous cycles, of old thought patterns and behaviors, so that we may begin anew.
Pisces offers us a season of light, where we find ourselves moving towards the Spring Equinox, the beginning of the astrological year and the place of perfect balance between the light and the dark. The season, itself, is an invitation to shed what does not serve and, in so doing, cultivate more balance in our lives. Yes, finding balance within ourselves is a challenging route to take. But, it is the path to wholeness and to peace. Alan Oken, author of “Soul Centered Astrology” writes that “The goal for each of us is the Path, and the Path represents the unfolding of Love/Wisdom [which is the] consciousness of the Soul.” May we be steady on the path. May we allow all the parts of ourselves to be revered and cherished. May we move forward with open arms and open hearts.
- Somatic Practice: “Medi-Napping To Cultivate More Love”
- “Medi-Napping” is a term I came up with to describe a form of meditation that involves lying down and quieting the mind. Basically, it combines the restorative form of Relaxation Pose/Corpse Pose/Savasana with the expansion of the mind through meditation. Make sure to have your journal nearby so that you can write down whatever came to you during your medi-napping.
- Choose a place to lie down. It can be on your bed, couch, floor or even outside in a shaded spot. Support yourself with a blanket for warmth, a bolster or rolled up blanket for under your knees and a cloth or eye pillow to cover your eyes.
- Begin to quiet your mind by tuning into your breath. Notice if there are places where your breath seems uneven, even a little sticky or forced. Inhale to a count of 4 and exhale to a count of 4. Let your breath be smooth and easy. Slowly allow your exhales to lengthen to a count of 5 or 6.
- Now, begin to visualize yourself at the center of a wheel of light. The light is below you, lifting you up. It is above you, casting you in a radiant, radial of pure energy. Let it wash over you. Let it pour into you. This is the energy of love, surrounding you with its healing powers.
- Buoyed up by this love light, allow yourself to rest in this peaceful space. You can simply float in the light. Let whatever thoughts or emotions flow in and out with your breath. Pay attention to what wants to move through you, but do not grasp onto it.
- You can stay in this supported space for as long as it resonates. You may even cross over the liminal bridge into the healing space that I call “soul sleep”. It is the space where you are here in your body, but in deep peace, almost like deep sleep.
- When you are ready to return, slowly roll onto your right side and take 3 breaths. As you move to a seated position, take your time. Do not rush back. Once you are seated, place your hands at your heart center in gratitude for your body, your mind and your soul. Place your hands at your third eye (forehead) and bow down in gratitude for the source of all things: love.
- Finally, turn to your journal and write down whatever comes to you. Free writing is a lovely way to help gestate meditative experiences. Trust your inner knowing to guide you.
- Tarot Cards, Mantras, Chakras and Elemental Energies
- I - The Magician: “Manifestation” (We get to The Magician by taking the 1 from the 12th card, Reflection)
- Fire: Solar Chakra, The South - perseverance, determination, strength, courage to walk the path
- II - The Oracle (aka The High Priestess): “Reverence” (We get to The Oracle by taking the 2 from the 12th card, Reflection)
- Water: The West - vision, dreams, intuition and sacred wisdom
- II - Grace (aka The Empress): “Gratitude” (We get to Grace by adding the 1 and the 2 from the 12th card to make 3)
- Earth: Root Chakra, The North - the deepest form of wisdom - the compassionate heart
- XII - Reflection (aka The Hanged One)
- Water: The West - vision, dreams, intuition and sacred wisdom
- Poem for Pisces Season:
The Quiet Power
I walked backwards, against time
and that’s where I caught the moon,
singing at me.
I steeped downwards, into my seat
and that’s where I caught freedom,
waiting for me, like a lilac.
I didn’t die. I didn’t turn to dust.
Instead, I chopped vegetables,
and made a calm lake in me
where the water was clear and sourced and still.
And when the ones I loved came to it,
I had something to give them, and
it offered them a soft road out of pain.
I became beloved.
And I came to know that this was it.
The quiet power.
I could give something mighty, lasting,
that stopped the wheel of chaos,
by tending to the river inside,
keeping the water rich and deep,
keeping a bench for you to visit.
Song for Pisces Season: Wah! OPENING TO BLISS - Heart Sutra